Journey to Bethlehem is a free, non-ticketed event for the whole family—all ages are welcome! Follow your trustworthy guide through the streets of Bethlehem, the palace of King Herod, the shepherd's pastures and more, and ultimately to the stable housing God's greatest gift to us all in this live nativity journey!
2017 Tour Dates and Times
- Thursday, December 7: 6 PM – 8:30 PM; Doors open at 5:30 PM
- Friday, December 8: 6 PM – 8:30 PM; Doors open at 5:30 PM
- Saturday, December 9: Kid's Journey – 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM; Doors open at 9:30 AM (Kid's Journey is an abridged tour specially designed for our younger audiences)
- Saturday, December 9: Normal Tours – 4:30 PM – 8:30 PM; Doors open at 4 PM
- Sunday, December 10: 4:30 PM – 8:30 PM; Doors open at 4 PM
Can I make a reservation?
- Journey to Bethlehem tours are walk-in only and are not available by reservation.
- You may have one person from your group come in at door opening and request a certain time slot for that night. While cannot guarantee that your slot will be available, will try to accommodate your group as best as we can.
- You are welcome to leave and come back if you have a long wait time. But, we suggest your arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your reservation time. Your spot may be skipped if you are not present when your number is called.
Where do tours start?
- Tours begin at the Roman Census in the front of Building D.
How do I check in and register?
- As you and your group arrive at the front of Building D—the main entrance at Salem—you will check in at the "census" (registration desk) and be assigned a tour group number indicating when you will begin your journey. Journey to Bethlehem draws many travelers, therefore you should plan to wait in line in order to register your group. Your entire group does not need to be present to register, but needs to be present and ready to go when your number is called to start travelling.
- Once you have received your group number, you will move to a waiting area in the Multi-Purpose Room in Building D where there will be tables with entertainment set up for children while you wait. In this area, there will be concession items (hot dogs, snacks, and cold drinks for $1.50 or less each) available for purchase if you would like—concession proceeds benefit our overseas mission trips. You may also bring your own food to eat while waiting. The guided tour group numbers are shown on the video screens and are announced when it is time to start your journey.
How many people are in each tour?
- Each tour consists of about 28 people.
How often do tours run and how long is each tour?
- Each tour starts about every 6 minutes and takes about 40 minutes to complete.
Can I bring my stroller or wheelchair?
- Unfortunately, strollers cannot be taken through due to space restrictions and use of stairs throughout the drama.
- If you need wheelchair access, we will certainly accommodate you—please let us know upon check in.
If you have any other questions about Journey to Bethlehem or Salem Baptist Church, please feel free to contact the church office or at (919) 362-7327