Our Big Three
Our desire at Salem is to support local, national, and global missions together as a church, as well as to provide opportunities for every member to get involved in serving missionally, reaching people inside and outside the church with the love of Christ and sharing the Gospel. There are plenty of options available to get involved, whether locally, nationally, or internationally:
- Salem's Small Groups organize various community projects year-round.
- Local Mission Opportunities: Put on your Go Shoes and join us—Salem is active and serving Jesus every day in our local community! We have many opportunities throughout the year for adults, students, and families to serve through the various ministry areas of MissionApex (serving families and youth in local neighborhoods), teaching English as a second language and other local communities of culture with the love of Jesus, community schools, serving those experiencing housing challenges, and much more. Please contact the church office so we can get you plugged in!
- Serve within Salem through childcare, teaching, or other leadership positions.
- Associational: Salem regularly supports the Raleigh Baptist Association, which links the Great Commission to the Church Mission for Kingdom Growth.
- Salem regularly supports several individuals and organizations that provide local missions ministries, including Rodger Shull's ministry through E3 partners in a Durham neighborhood. Contact us for information on volunteer opportunities with this ministry.
- Veritas Church in Washington DC: Salem partners with this church plant that is a vibrant and growing community of Christ followers. Our student ministry goes to Georgetown once a year or more to serve alongside Veritas as an out-of-state mission trip. Our next scheduled trip is June 26–July 2, 2020. Contact Pastor Josh if you are interested in joining us!
- Ephiphany Church in Brooklyn, NY: Salem supports this growing church of Christ followers in Brooklyn.
- Student Ministry Mission Trips: Each summer High school students alternate between out-of-state and in-state week-long trips, and middle school students stay in-state. Students minister, share the love of Christ with the communities they enter, and provide on-location labor during national crises such as storm and flood damage. Check the Student Ministry's Upcoming Events to learn about upcoming trips.
- Associational: Salem regularly supports the Southern Baptist Convention, which exists to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all people everywhere through its network of more than fifty thousand cooperating churches and church-type missions.
- International Family Trips: We offer our adult trips to whole families from third grade to senior adult. We partner with several countries, such as Panama and India and take mission trips each year that include gospel activities, discipleship, ministering to children, and encouraging, strengthening and assisting the local missionary teams in their local work. Contact the church office for information on upcoming mission trips.
- Student International Mission Trips: Junior and Senior highschoolers take an international mission trip every 2 years. This life-changing experience provides a chance for students to see the world from a very different perspective. Past trips have included Ecuador, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and Costa Rica.
- Global Missionary Support
- Annie Armstrong Easter Offering: Each year, we honor the life and work of Annie Walker Armstrong (1850–1938) when we give to the annual offering for North American missions named after her. One hundred percent of gifts given directly support missionaries and their ministries. Look for information on our church offering goal each spring. Salem's goal for 2020 is $16,000.
- Lottie Moon Christmas Offering: 100% of our support of the LMCO supports missionaries who share Jesus with millions worldwide, help start thousands of churches, work to rescue slaves, feed orphans, and care for the needy. Look for information on our church offering goal around Thanksgiving each year.
- Salem supports several international missionary families financially as the sending church and through mission trips, including the Buenos in Panama and Aaron & Alexis in India.
- Student Missionary Support
- Salem offers some financial support to high school and college students going on mission trips. This support is limited to current Salem members and regular attendees (some exceptions are made for college students who are away at school and regularly attending a church near their school). To request support, please read the Financial Support Guidelines (Word doc) and fill out the Financial Support Request Form (Word doc).
- Salem regularly supports the International Mission Board (IMB), which partners with churches to empower missionary teams who are evangelizing, discipling, planting, and multiplying healthy churches, and training leaders among unreached people and places for the glory of God.
- Reaching the unreached globally through radio: Salem regularly supports TransWorld Radio, which exists to "reach the world for Christ by mass media so that lasting fruit is produced."